Are you looking for ways to drive traffic to your website using social media? Don’t forget about Pinterest; it’s still as viable as ever when it comes to engaging visitors and sending them to your main site. Here are five things to do to make your Pinterest efforts result in more traffic to your website.
1. Use Teaser Pins
Keep in the forefront of your mind when using social media accounts that the goal is to drive traffic away from the social media platform and onto your own website. Teaser pins are perfect for this. They don’t reveal what you have in store for your follower, but make her visit your site to find out what it is. Enticing words like “Look what we’ve come up with for your wedding!” would work. So would “Coolest idea of the week,” linked back to a post on your own product or service, or some curated content you’ve created for your readers.
2. Get Trendy & Current
Find out what’s trending right now in weddings. Find out what’s going on in current events within the wedding industry: trade shows? Big celebrity weddings? Whatever it is, find a way to relate your niche product and pin something with a description to incorporate the trend or current event.
3. Pinterest is for Photos, But Add Some Words Too
Add descriptions to your photos — not just a few words but a thorough explanation of why you’re pinning that photo, what’s in it, and why your visitors should care. Feel free to consider the photo description a mini blog post. You get 500 characters, including the link back to your website. If you use hashtags (which you should), leave room for those, too.
4. Learn How to Use (but not Overuse) #Hashtags
Hashtags are just keywords you place at the end of your pin description. They help Pinterest users find your content. If you use too many your pins will look like spam.
5. Use Rich Pins Whenever Possible
Rich pins are pins with extra information on them to help users get the most out of the pins. The one that might work best for you in the wedding niche would be the Product Pins. These will include pricing info and where to buy the product. If you drop your price, anyone who’s saved your product pin will get a notification. Here are a few more ideas on how to use rich pins for the wedding niche:
- Video Pins could also work, should you have one that promotes your wedding product or service. Did someone use your product or service for their wedding? Uploading a video from that event would be a killer way to promote it on Pinterest.
- Place Pins let your Pinterest followers know that your product was used at a wedding in Boise, Idaho, because the pin will have a map. Alternatively, if your product is sold in a retail location, this is an effective way to let people know about it because Place Pins also include address and phone number. You could promote your product and the store where it’s available.
If your Pinterest account is fleshed out, your profile is complete, and your account is verified, then you can apply for Rich Pins from Pinterest. Make sure your website is ready too; meta tags help, according to Pinterest.
Now, complete your Pinterest project by browsing some enviable Pinterest boards in your field. Use them for inspiration, engage with them, start a conversation, even repin some of the pictures you especially like. Before you know it, you’ll be addicted to pinning!